Opening // DAZ // 11.02. - 18.03.2012 // Wed - Sun 12 am - 7 pm
An exhibition of the Netherlands Architecture Institute (NAi) curated by Lukas Feireiss.
A skateboarding school in Kabul, an open-air cinema in Jenin, murals in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro and a garden in Paris – Testify! The Consequences of Architecture presents a selection of projects that seek to improve social, economic and environmental conditions through architectural and artistic means. Using flexible, integrative planning processes, architects, urban planners and other creatives are levying the transformative power of architecture to meet the complex challenges
of our time. Through the personal impressions of diverse stakeholders – construction workers, students, journalists, photographers, academics and politicians – Testify! highlights the projects and their impact from the perspective of the users.
The exhibition opening took place February 10th, 2012 at the DAZ. Speakers: Ole Bouman, Director Netherlands Architecture Institute (NAi), Rotterdam, Lukas Feireiss, Curator Testify! and Matthias Böttger, Curator DAZ.
Exhibition architecture: nOffice (Miessen Pflugfelder Nilsson), Berlin
Exhibition design DAZ: Nilsson Pflugfelder, Berlin/London
In cooperation with: Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Federal Foreign Office
Thanks to: Viessmann, Steelcase
March 8th, 2012, 7 PM // Discussion at the DAZ
Reality bites! Architecture in everyday life
The extent to which architecture can meet the complex demands of everyday life doesn’t become clear without temporal or spatial distance. With this in mind, the consequences of architecture are self-critically examined using two projects presented in the exhibition by way of example: Cinema Jenin and Open Air Library.
Discussion: Dagmar Quentin, Cinema Jenin e.V., Stefan Rettich, Karo*, Lukas Feireiss, Curator Testify! and Matthias Böttger, Curator DAZ. Discussion in german.
Organized with the generous support of the Federal Foreign Office.
February 23rd, 2012 // Filmprojection at the DAZ
“Skateistan The Movie. Four Wheels and a Board in Kabul” (2011)
Directed by: Kai Sehr, Produced by: Rene Kock
The film tells the story of Skateistan – Afghanistan’s first skateboarding school, built with the help of the Norwegian, Danish and German governments in order to encourage children of this war-torn country to break through social, ethnic and gender barriers.
Followed by a discussion with Max Henninger, Skateistan and Dr. Anna Prinz, Federal Foreign Office led by Lukas Feireiss, Curator Testify! and Matthias Böttger, Curator DAZ.
Organized with the generous support of the Federal Foreign Office and betterplace.
An accompanying book, TESTIFY! The Consequences of Architecture, brings together all the exhibition projects along with extensive interview material.
NAi Publishers (Rotterdam), June 2011, 240 pages, english
Author: Lukas Feireiss; Co-Author: Ole Bouman
Graphicdesign: De Designpolitie
Price: 35 Euros
· Open Air Library, Karo* with Architektur+Netzwerk
· Project Row Houses, Rick Lowe
· Eichbaumoper, raumlaborberlin
· Cinema Jenin, Cinema Jenin e.V.
· Parque Explora, Alejandro Echeverri Arquitectos
· Lisboa7, AT103/FranciscoPardo and Julio Amezcua
· Energy Neutral Monument, Zecc Architekten
· Bogotá Change, Antanas Mockus and Enrique Penalosa
· Estonoesunsolar, Grávalos di Monte Arquitectos
· Le56/Eco-Interstice, Atelier d'Architecture Autogérée (AAA)
· Favela Painting, Haas&Hahn/Jeroen Koolhaas and Dre Urhahn
· Skateistan, Skateistan/ACCL, ANOC, Oliver Perchovich
· Bridge School, Li Xiaodong Atelier
· Maria Grazia Cutuli Primary School, 2A+P, IAN+, and MA0/Emmeazero with Mario Cutuli
· SOS Children's Villages Lavezzorio Community Center, Studio Gang Architects
· Inkwenkwezi Secondary School, Noero Wolff Architects with Sonja Spamer Architects
· Old Market Library, TYIN Tegnestue with Kasama Yamtree
· Ahmed Baba Centre, dhk Architects with Twothink
· Inujima Art Project, Seirensho Hiroshi Sambuichi Architects
· NAI Matchmaking, The Netherlands Architecture Institute
· The Winter School Middle East, Markus Miessen and Zahra Ali Baba
· Copenhagen Wheel/CO2GO, Senseable City Laboratory
· Metropolitan Protogarden, Ecologicstudio/Claudia Pasquero and Marco Poletto
· Drivers of Change, Arup Foresight
· Decolonizing Art/Architecture Residency (DAAR), Sandi Hilal, Alessandro Petti, Eyal Weizman
Fotos © Till Budde